Red Velvet Cake
1/2 cup butter
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 tbsps. cocoa
2 oz. red food coloring
2 1/2 cups flour
1 tsp. salt
1 cup buttermilk
1 tsp. vanilla
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. apple cider vinegar
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees
2. Grease and flour two 8 or 9 inch round cake pans.
3. Cream butter and sugar in mixer bowl until fluffy. Add eggs and beat well.
4. Place cocoa and food coloring in small bowl and stir to a nice smooth consistency. Add to creamed mixture.
5. Sift flour and salt. Add flour mixture alternately with buttermilk, beating in between each addition.
6. Add vanilla, vinegar, and baking soda. Mix well.
7. Pour evenly into prepared cake pans and bake until done, about 25 minutes.
8. Remove from oven and let cake rest for about 5 minutes then remove from pans. Cool completely and then with a large serrated knife, slice the layers horizontally making a total of four layers.
9. Wrap each cooled layer in saran wrap and place them in freezer overnight. (The purpose of freezing the cake is that it makes it much easier to handle while frosting. You won't end up with little red crumbs in your frosting!)
1 1/2 cups milk
3 heaping tbsps. flour
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar- (NOT confectioners)
1 1/2 cups butter
1 tsp. vanilla
1. Combine milk and flour in small saucepan. Cook, over medium heat, stirring constantly until smooth and thick. Remove from heat, pour the mixture into a clean bowl and cover the surface with saran wrap. Set aside to cool.
2. In stand mixer cream butter and sugar until fluffy. Add vanilla and mix. When your milk mixture is slightly cooled, add one tbsp. at a time to the butter mixture, whipping thoroughly in between.
3. Whip until you have a fluffy, white and buttery frosting. Then, frost each layer with small bit of frosting and then frost the entire cake!
Recipe by The Red Feedsack
Cook: 25 minutes