|The Farm Dirt|
News from Bartlett's Farm May 25, 2011
Open Every Day 8-6
Around The Farm...
If your plans for Memorial Day weekend include
gardening, relaxing or eating, come on out!
- Organically grown here on the farm, basil is being harvested nearly every day! And this is the only place to get it! Find it in the produce cooler near the baby arugula, spinach, mesclun greens and head lettuce.
- Acres of annuals, plenty of perennials, a huge amount of herbs, tons of tomatoes (and lots of other vegetables) all grown on the farm are ready to be planted! The vegetable and herb plants for your garden are all certified organic by Baystate Organic Certifiers.
- Seafood Simmering Sauce doubles as an outstanding Bloody Mary Mix. Dump large chunks of any kind of fish into a pot of heated simmering sauce. Serve with chopped fresh basil on top!. (Get a separate bottle for the Bloody Mary mix)
- Beach toys, chairs and games are all here, just in time for the first big weekend of summer.
- Grilling supplies from hardwood charcoal to grilling baskets are located on the
end cap next to the meat case filled with delicious, humanely raised meats from New England Family Farms and Bartlett's charcuterie.
- Picnic blankets, coolers and corkscrews make great hostess gifts.
Saturday's Farm Talk
For the last 'official' Saturday farm talk of the spring, we welcome Nantucket Pasta Goddess,
who will demonstrate how to make gluten free gnocchi, ravioli and sauces and discuss other healthy ways to live a life without wheat. Learn about other delicious grains that are satisfying and tasty. Plus we'll sample some gluten free beverages from Cisco Brewers.
Saturday May 28 10am in the Hayloft
Weekly Farm Talks will resume again in the fall, but in the meantime, watch for
Summer Celebration on June 21 from 10-5
Kids games, music, window box demonstration, lots of food sampling and more!
A Visit from C.L. Fornari on June 28.
C.L. is a writer, gardening expert, professional speaker and radio host and is currently the host of "Gardenline" - a call-in talk-radio program.
Grab and Go Pots and Hanging Baskets
These farm-grown hanging baskets and pots were planted and tended in the greenhouses, protecting them from wind, fog and rain! They are ready to go right on your deck or hang from your porch and will give you a splash of color! No waiting...they're in the garden center ready to go to your house!
Liliana's fresh gluten-free pasta is a unique offering and delicious too. It's not just for gluten-intolerant pasta lovers! We also have a great selection of other packaged pasta, too.
Pastifico DiMartino is a new offering that one customer claimed was as close to his grandmother's homemade pasta as he's ever had!
And how about some cheese to go with those pastas?
from Leah Mojer
Maple Brook Farm's Ricotta is light and airy.
Great as a substitute to heavier cream sauced pasta. Great in cold pasta salad too!
Bardwell Farm makes a delicious Italian Style Toma that would be heavenly on grilled pizzas or grated over crostini. It's called Pawlet. Even if you're not planning a night of pizza making, this cheese is also great just for snacking too!
From Blue Ledge Farm, we have their lovely milky white goat cheese called Lake's Edge. With it's dry crumbly interior and a gooey delicious rind, this cheese would make for an excellent addition to pasta with bright spring veggies such as fiddleheads! Make a sauce with it or simply crumble into the hot pasta and toss!
By buying our Artisan cheeses from New England, you are helping to directly support these small farmers, dairys and artisans. Thank you for helping to keep farming a tradition.
| Save The Dates|
TBD: Book Release Party. Harvesting Nantucket: The Taste of Bartlett's Ocean View Farm
July 15: Full Moon Dinner 6pm
August 12: Harvest Dinner 6pm
You can sign up for stormy day alerts, garden guru updates, produce alerts or the daily lunch email.
Yup! We send all of them, but only if you want them!
And we NEVER NEVER NEVER share your email address with anyone.