Dear Cranberry Country Chamber of Commerce Member,
Massachusetts is home to some of the best hospitals in the nation. But that could change if Question #1 is voted into law on November 6th.
Your help is desperately needed in helping our community understand the negative impact Question #1 will have on patient care, our communities and the entire region.
Please consider sharing the following message and join the statewide effort to raise awareness and provide education regarding Question #1.
Five Reasons to vote NO on Question #1
On November 6th, Massachusetts voters will be asked to vote on mandated nurse staffing ratios. The question will appear as Question #1 on the ballot.
Here are five reasons why we ask you to consider voting "No" on Question #1.
1. Crucial healthcare decisions should be made at the bedside and not at the ballot box.
2. If passed, rigid government mandated nurse staffing ratios will be enforced at all hospitals, on all units, at all times with no exceptions.
3. If implemented, the cost to Southcoast Health will be $38 million annually and the cost to the Commonwealth will be $1.31 billion annually. Healthcare costs for everyone will rise in Massachusetts.
4. Out of all 50 states only one other state (California) has mandated nurse staffing ratios and there is no evidence that it contributes to quality care. In fact, 2018 Leapfrog patient safety data http://www.hospitalsafetygrade.org/your-hospitals-safety-grade/state-rankings ranks Massachusetts 4th in the nation for percentage of hospitals with the top patient safety rating, while California ranks 25th.
5. For more information please visit www.protectpatientsafety.com, where you can also learn more.